ASLAP Election open June 2nd!
ASLAP members have an exciting list of candidates to consider for this year's election.
Wendy J Underwood
Board of Directors Candidates
Ballots will be e-mailed June 2, 2013!
While the election will take place in June, results of the balloting will be announced at the Board of Directors meeting and membership meeting held at the July AVMA meeting in Denver. All successful candidates shall be installed during the membership meeting , as well.
The membership shall receive an e-mail with their unique login information and a link to our new online voting system starting June 2. Your e-mail will come from our online election vendor and will appear from firstname.lastname@example.org. Members will than have until midnight central time on June 30th in which to go online to vote.
2014 AVMA Animal Welfare Symposium
On behalf of Dr. Samuel Cartner, Chair of the Laboratory Animal Working Group of the AVMA Panel on Euthanasia, it’s our pleasure to let you all know that a call for abstracts for the 2014 AVMA Animal Welfare Symposium, “Humane Endings—In Search of Best Practices for Euthanasia, Humane Slaughter, and Depopulation of Animals” has been issued.
You can access information and a submission form on the AVMA website at www.avma.org/humaneendings Deadline for submitting abstracts is July 15, 2014.
The event will be held November 2-5, 2014 at The Westin O’Hare in Rosemont, Illinois
Still need to renew your membership?
To renew your membership online , simply log into the website and select in the upper right hand corner "Pay Dues now".
Need an invoice? request a membership renewal at email@example.com
March newsletter now online!
Log into the website to view the latest issue.
2014 Charles River Prize for
Laboratory Animal Science
Charles River is pleased to announce that nominations are now being received for the 37th annual Charles River Prize. This award will be presented in San Antonio, TX, at the 65th annual meeting of the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS), October 19-23, 2014. The Charles River Prize, consisting of a suitably inscribed plaque a check, and travel to the AALAS meeting will be awarded in recognition of distinguished contributions to the field of laboratory animal science and medicine.
The deadline for submission is May 15.
- Nominees should be a veterinarian who has had significant, consistent contributions to laboratory animal science and medicine.
- The recipient need not be a member of any specific professional organization but should be active in a laboratory animal science or medicine professional organization.
- The recipient must be either a member of AALAS or an AALAS-recognized affiliate organization. In the case of recipients that are not currently AALAS members (as might be the case if the recipient resides outside of North America) Charles River will fund their individual membership dues for 2 years.
- The recipient may be a resident of any country.
Criteria considered include but are not limited to:
- Publications and presentations in the field of laboratory animal science, medicine, welfare, or ethics
- Teaching and training activities which foster the highest standards of animal care and use
- Public outreach supporting biomedical research
- Involvement in public policy enhancing biomedical research
- Involvement in development of recognized guidelines, standards and other activities enhancing the use of animals in biomedical research
If you would like to nominate one of your colleagues, please send the nomination to Dr. Marilyn Brown, Vice President CHARTER Program, Charles River, 251 Ballardvale Street, Wilmington, MA 01887 (Marilyn.firstname.lastname@example.org)
Each nomination should contain the following supporting information:
- Name, mailing address, college and year of graduation
- Nature of professional activity (type of salaried work)
- Organization membership (professional and scientific)
- Honors or awards
- Brief sketch on nominees professional background
- Statement pertaining to his/her qualifications for the award
- Up to three letters of support for the nomination
The 2011 ACLAM/ASLAP salary survey is now available.
The survey is now available in the "Member News" section.
ASLAP is now on Facebook and LinkedIn
ASLAP members can now visit ASLAP Facebook and LinkedIn. On each service you can find ASLAP groups listed under the full name of the organization, American Society of Laboratory Animal Practitioners. Each site is private and access is allowed only by permission.
To visit either our Facebook or LinkedIn site, follow the links above to the respective sites and follow the instructions on the page to request access. Since the sites are private, membership in Facebook or LinkedIn is required. Once your membership in ASLAP has been confirmed, you will be granted access. If you participate in these services, we would very much appreciate your leaving comments and suggestions at each site.
U.S. Certificate Program in Laboratory Animal Medicine
Applications are currently being accepted for enrollment in the U.S. Certificate Program in Laboratory Animal Medicine. This academic program of study provides continuing education and applied training for licensed U.S. veterinarians working in the field of Laboratory Animal Medicine.